From journalism to social media to advertising to gaming, students need to learn how to critically analyse media and safely navigate an increasingly digital world.
What is Media and Me?
Media and Me is a facilitated media literacy program that examines storytelling through animation, advertising, gaming, social media, film and music and explores how media has evolved over time in its methods of influencing and persuading viewers.
We explore questions such as:
- How is media influencing you?
- What is a trustworthy source?
- What techniques do filmmakers use to engage you in the story?
- What does it mean to be a good online citizen?
And much more…
Media and Me empowers young people in their increasingly digitised world to make safe choices online. It is also a great introduction to Australian film and sound history and the NFSA collection.
Media literacy is the ability to critically engage with media in all aspects of life. It is a form of lifelong literacy that is essential for full participation in society.
Who is it for?
This program works best for 9 to 14 year olds but can be adapted to suit all ages. With direct curriculum links, a number of take-away resources and an engaging collection of clips, your students will have a valuable experience exploring Media and Me.
Onsite session times – Canberra
Please note: The NFSA is currently closed to the public, following directives from the ACT Government. During this time we are unable to offer Education Programs onsite. The details below will apply after the NFSA building reopens to the public.
Session times for the remainder of 2021:
Tuesdays and Wednesdays: 9.00 am, 10.15 am, 11.30 am, 1.00 pm, 2.15 pm, 3.30 pm
For 2022 we will offer additional sessions on:
Mondays 1:00pm, 2:15pm and 3:30pm
Thursdays: 9.00am, 10.15am, 11.30am
60 minutes, fully facilitated (teacher must attend)
Facilitated Education Programs: $7 per student (teachers and support staff are free)
Minimum booking rates apply: please email us at education [at] nfsa.gov.au for further details.
Please note: Media and Me is a PACER program.
Adult / child supervision ratio
The theatrette capacity is 99 people. A minimum of 15 students is required.
Please email education [at] NFSA.gov.au if you have a larger group
Bookings and further information
Please email us at education [at] nfsa.gov.au
Phone: 1800 067 274 (toll-free within Australia) or (02) 6248 2000
Media and Me: follow up activities
After you have attended the Media and Me program, download these free educational resources for both Primary and Secondary students.
Media and Me meets the General Curriculum priorities of:
- Critical and creative thinking
- Information Communication Technology Capability.
It is suitable across all subjects and particularly complements the subjects of English, Media Arts and Technologies and shows potential connections with other learning areas, the general capabilities and cross-curriculum priorities.
Specific curriculum links
Media and Me also meets these specific curriculum priorities:
- Year 6 English, Interpreting, analysing, evaluating: Use comprehension strategies to interpret and analyse information and ideas, comparing content from a variety of textual sources including media and digital texts (ACELY1713)
- Year 6 Technologies: Plan, create and communicate ideas and information, including collaboratively online, applying agreed ethical, social and technical protocols (ACTDIP022)
- Year 7 Civics and Citizenship: Identify, gather and sort information and ideas from a range of sources (ACHCS055)
REGISTER FOR EDUCATION UPDATES
Subscribe here for information on school holiday programs, Media & Me, on-site and online excursions - and more!