Image: The Magic Shoes (1935). NFSA ID: 683091
Our curators are continually searching for key works that are needed for the NFSA collection.
Here is the current list of works we are seeking. If you have any of these, or any rare items related to Australia's audiovisual history, please contact enquiries [at] nfsa.gov.au. We look forward to hearing from you.
Search current NFSA collections using title numbers or keywords.
- Posters, publicity and photographic works relating to Indigenous musicians, actors, filmmakers and production companies.
- Across Australia with Francis Birtles (Francis Birtles, Richard Primmer, Australia, 1912). This film covered adventurer Birtles’ epic bicycle ride from Sydney to Darwin, including dramatised interaction between Indigenous people and early white settlers.
- Every missing silent-era feature film directed by Franklyn Barrett, including Know Thy Child (Franklyn Barrett, Australia, 1921). Praised in its day for its subtle handling of the sensitive theme of illegitimacy, this adult drama featured class differences in an urban setting. See Know Thy Child material that the NFSA already holds.
- The Burgomeister (Harry Southwell, Australia, 1935). One sequence survives from this second Australian feature adaptation of the stage melodrama The Bells, the first having been directed by WJ Lincoln in 1911. NFSA title no: 39124
- Captain Thunderbolt (Cecil Holmes, Australia, 1953). We hold what is believed to be a 53-minute television edit version of this bushranger film depicting Captain Thunderbolt as a folk hero. The original 35mm theatrical release had a running time of 69 minutes. See Captain Thunderbolt material the NFSA already holds.