Media and Me
Media and Me
From journalism to social media to advertising to gaming, students need to learn how to critically analyse media and safely navigate an increasingly digital world.
What is Media and Me?
Media and Me is a facilitated media literacy program that examines storytelling through animation, advertising, gaming, social media, film and music and explores how media has evolved over time in its methods of influencing and persuading viewers.
We explore questions such as:
- How is media influencing you?
- What techniques do composers use to engage you in the story?
- What does it mean to be a media literate citizen?
And much more…
Media and Me empowers young people in their increasingly digitised world to make safe choices online. It is also a great introduction to Australian film and sound history and the NFSA collection.
'Media literacy is the ability to critically engage with media in all aspects of life. It is a form of lifelong literacy that is essential for full participation in society.'
- Australian Media Literacy Alliance (AMLA)
This program works best for 9 to 13 year olds but can be adapted to suit all ages. With direct curriculum links and an engaging collection of clips, your students will have a valuable experience exploring Media and Me.
Please note: Media and Me is a PACER program.
Where: Onsite – in our historic Theatrette
What: Fully facilitated (teachers must attend). 60 minute duration
Cost: $7 per student (max 99, min 15)
Session Times: Mondays to Wednesdays: 9:00am, 10:15am, 11:30am, 1:00pm, 2:15pm, 3:30pm
Thursdays: 9:00am, 10:15am, 11:30am, 1:00pm, 2:15pm
Please book via the Book Canberra Excursions website.
For specific requests or further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
After you have attended the Media and Me program, download these free educational resources for both Primary and Secondary students.
Media and Me: follow-up activities for primary school students
Media and Me: follow-up activities for secondary school students
And here is another resource that you can use to unpack some core ideas with your class:
Download: Media and Me – Educational Resource, produced by the NFSA and Museum of Australian Democracy.
Media and Me meets the General Curriculum priorities of:
- Critical and creative thinking
- Information Communication Technology Capability.
It is suitable across all subjects and particularly complements the subjects of English, Media Arts and Technologies and shows potential connections with other learning areas, the general capabilities and cross-curriculum priorities.
SPECIFIC CURRICULUM LINKS
Media and Me also meets these specific curriculum priorities:
- Year 6 English, Interpreting, analysing, evaluating: Use comprehension strategies to interpret and analyse information and ideas, comparing content from a variety of textual sources including media and digital texts (ACELY1713)
- Year 6 Technologies: Plan, create and communicate ideas and information, including collaboratively online, applying agreed ethical, social and technical protocols (ACTDIP022)
- Year 7 Civics and Citizenship: Identify, gather and sort information and ideas from a range of sources (ACHCS055)