English manufacturer of motion picture film stocks and chemicals, still photographic papers and accessory equipment.
Company founder, Alfred Hugh Harman, acquired a house called ‘Elmhurst’ in the small village of ILFORD, close to London, to set up Britannia Works Limited to manufacture dry plates in a clean, dust-free atmosphere. He changed the name of his company to ‘Ilford’ after losing the rights to ‘Britannia’.
The name ILFORD (with the letters O, R and D in the broken open style) in the margin, possibly dated 1939. Please note that the name ILFORD is written horizontally in this case. Prior to this time the word ILFORD was written vertically, which was in line with the previous company name SELO, also written vertically.