Opening of Queensland Parliament in 1899
This short film is actuality footage of Lord Lamington, Governor of Queensland, arriving by horse-drawn carriage to open Queensland Parliament on 18 May 1899. The carriage is escorted by members of Queensland’s Permanent Artillery on horseback. A guard of honour awaits, and then salutes, the governor’s arrival. After he exits, the carriage departs.
Summary by Elizabeth Taggert - Speers
Lord Lamington was born Charles Wallace Alexander Napier Cochrane-Baillie (1860–1940). He served as Queensland’s Governor from 1896 to 1901. 'Lamingtons’, a variety of sponge cake coated in chocolate and coconut, were named after him although sources differ as to how they got their name.
Construction on Queensland’s Parliament House building began in 1864. It was first occupied in 1868 and completed in 1889.
Opening of Queensland Parliament synopsis
This actuality footage shows Lord Lamington, Governor of Queensland, arriving by horse-drawn carriage to open Queensland Parliament on 18 May 1899. A guard of honour, consisting of Queensland’s Permanent Artillery under Lieutenant Black, stands by as the dignitaries disembark from the coach.
This footage was filmed by the official photographer of the Queensland Department of Agriculture, Frederick Charles Wills, and his assistant Henry William Mobsby. The following day, Wills presented his first film showing at the Queensland Amateur Photographic Society. According to Chris Long and Pat Laughren ('Australia’s First Films’, Cinema Papers, 1993, No. 96, p 37), this screening probably included Queen Street and Victoria Bridge and Roma Street Station footage, also taken in 1899.
Notes by Elizabeth Taggert - Speers