Capitol Theatre, Manuka
Canberra’s first purpose-built cinema was the Capitol Theatre, which opened in 1927 with more than 1,000 seats.
It presented a mixed program of theatrical acts and films, a formula that was popular for many years.
The Capitol was managed by Franklyn Barrett, a well-known former film producer, director and cinematographer.
The original building was demolished in 1980 and Event Cinemas, Manuka now stands on the site.