Skyline Drive-in, Melbourne
1964
Skyline Drive-in, Melbourne
1964
- NFSA ID4RENMS1N
- TypeFilm
- MediumMoving Image
- FormHome movie
- Year1964
An excerpt from a silent colour home movie by Ron Newman showing the Skyline Drive-in on Burwood Highway in Burwood, Victoria.
The Newman family shot the home movie while on holiday in Victoria in 1964.
The clip shows the drive-in entrance and a sign announcing that evening's program, including features The Story of the Count of Monte Cristo (Claude Autant-Lara, France, 1962) and Onionhead (Norman Taurog, USA, 1958), as well as newsreels and cartoons.
The Skyline Drive-in opened on 18 February 1954 and closed on 22 June 1983. It was the first drive-in to be built in Australia and, within a couple of years of opening, had expanded to accommodate 700 cars.
The site eventually included a diner, Western-themed BBQ area with a lake and steakhouse, a children's playground and a 'walk-in' area for patrons without cars.
The location is now home to the council's electricity supply yard. The brick ticket box is a BBQ shelter; other structures that remain intact include the lake (now drained), steakhouse and walk-in area.
Notes by Stephen Groenewegen
An excerpt from a silent colour home movie by Ron Newman showing the Skyline Drive-in on Burwood Highway in Burwood, Victoria.
The Newman family shot the home movie while on holiday in Victoria in 1964.
The clip shows the drive-in entrance and a sign announcing that evening's program, including features The Story of the Count of Monte Cristo (Claude Autant-Lara, France, 1962) and Onionhead (Norman Taurog, USA, 1958), as well as newsreels and cartoons.
The Skyline Drive-in opened on 18 February 1954 and closed on 22 June 1983. It was the first drive-in to be built in Australia and, within a couple of years of opening, had expanded to accommodate 700 cars.
The site eventually included a diner, Western-themed BBQ area with a lake and steakhouse, a children's playground and a 'walk-in' area for patrons without cars.
The location is now home to the council's electricity supply yard. The brick ticket box is a BBQ shelter; other structures that remain intact include the lake (now drained), steakhouse and walk-in area.
Notes by Stephen Groenewegen
- NFSA ID4RENMS1N
- TypeFilm
- MediumMoving Image
- FormHome movie
- Year1964
Need to license this item? A/V professionals and researchers can shortlist licensing enquiries via our NFSA Pro catalogue search and membership.












