Capitol Theatre, Manuka, ACT
Canberra’s first purpose-built cinema was the Capitol Theatre, which opened in 1927 with more than 1000 seats and presented a mixed program of theatrical acts and films. This formula was popular for many years. The Capitol was managed by Franklyn Barrett, a well-known former film producer, director and cinematographer.
The original building was demolished in 1980 and Event Cinemas, Manuka now stands on the site.