Material from the NFSA collection can be made available for viewing or listening at any of our collection access centres. Items can be loaned or copied for off-site access with permission of third party copyright owners or agreement of the NFSA.
The NFSA does not usually hold the copyright for the works in its collection, so clearing the right to use material and seeking permission from the copyright holder will be the responsibility of whoever wishes to use the material. Indigenous material is made available in accordance with NFSA’s Indigenous protocols.
Copying and loan services are prioritised for the media production sectors and for scholarly and educational interests. We are unable to provide copies or loans of collection items for personal use unless a direct personal connection such as an appearance or performance by a family member can be established.
Accessing collection items
- Compile a list of items of interest using search the collection
- Review your list by clicking 'view my list’
- Send us your access request via the online form (use the red access request button).
Zero Fee Licence
An outcome of the NFSA’s organisational restructure and the development of a Strategic Plan 2014-15 to 2016-17 was the consolidation of the NFSA’s Collection Access and Film Australia Collection Library teams. On 1 October 2014 a single fee structure was introduced under the management of Collection Reference services, enabling a single rate card for all licences, access and other services from the NFSA.
Following this consolidation and the introduction of a single fee structure the NFSA will cease offering the Zero Fee Licence (ZFL) scheme to Australian documentary producers from 1 March 2015. All ZFL applications that were approved by the NFSA before 1 March 2015 will be honoured by the NFSA.
Contact NFSA Collection Reference staff by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take our client satisfaction survey.
How can you help?
- Make a collection offer.
- Help us find Australia’s Lost Films.
- Check your credits in Search the Collection :
- Search for the production to which you contributed
- From the Results page, click on the entry to see Title Details
- If you see incorrect or incomplete credits, email email@example.com with your suggested additions or corrections
- NFSA staff will respond to your email. In the event of receiving contradictory information, the NFSA retains the right to determine the authorised credits for the production.